It is now October, which means it is Halloween! Halloween has always been one of my favourite holidays: bad horror movies, fancy dress, and the official start of Autumn. Big baggy jumpers and cosy nights at home with lots and lots of sweet treats.
Henry and I were talking and we realised that I cannot remember ever making rice crispy treats. This therefore means that I have not yet truly lived. So we went to our local shop and picked up the ingredients, and we spent our very rainy, grey weekend baking treats and watching bad movies together.
- 1 1/2 cup of Rice snaps (you can use whatever brand you feel like. We went with Tesco own brand simply because it was £2 cheaper than actual Rice Krispies!). If you want to make them extra decadent you could use coco pops or similar!
- 150g (or two pre-packaged bags) Marshmallows – again whichever vegan ones you can find. I hear the Aldi ones are amazing, but alas our store was too far to walk in the middle of a downpour.
- 1 tbsp Butter
- Melt the butter in a pan. Once melted, add in your marshmallows and stir until it is all melted. Depending on the brand, the time this takes may vary, but it took us about 5-7 minutes.
- Add in your rice snaps. Again, we mostly eye-balled this as we weren’t sure how absorbent the marshmallow would be. Mix it all together until you get a pretty big ball of treat.
- Spread the mixture into a tray and flatten as best you can. We used a bread tin because we wanted pretty thick squares, but you can use whatever size and shape you want your treats to be.
- Leave to set. Ours set really quickly and was cool enough to eat within about 10 minutes.