With the weather now getting colder once more (goodbye English Summertime!) I have been in need of a good comfort meal. Thankfully, mac and cheese is one of the easiest meals to veganise and is peak comfort food in my books!
- 2 cups uncooked macaroni noodles
- 2 1/2 – 3 cups milk (we used soya milk but again, you could use your preferred milk)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- We also added 1 cup of Tesco Free From mince for an extra little bit of proteins
These are the substitutes that we used and they worked really well!
- Combine milk, garlic powder, butter, and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Cook the mince in a separate saucepan, which takes about 5-10 minutes.
- Add in the macaroni noodles and reduce the heat to low (adding liquid as and when needed). Cook until the noodles are tender, which takes about 20 minutes.
- Once the pasta is fully cooked, add the rest of the ingredients and stir until melted. Add in the mince once all the cheese is melted in and mix.
TIP: For some extra cheesiness you can add a tablespoon (or two) of some nutritional yeast. This will give it a lovely cheesy orange colour and also amplify the flavour, while also adding some extra vitamins and minerals to the meal for you. Then again, I am the type of person who would add nutritional yeast (affectionately referred to as Nooch amongst the vegan community) to anything and everything if I was allowed to!